Wednesday, May 14, 2008

D'Antoni is Knicks' Man

The New York Knicks introduced their new head coach, Mike D'Antoni today. D'Antoni is the franchise's 24th overall head coach and fourth since 2003. Donnie Walsh, who replaced Isiah Thomas as the team's President of Basketball Operations last month, hopes that that D'Antoni can bring his high tempo offensive style of play from the Desert to the Big Apple. D'Antoni's style was very successful in Phoenix as he had a regular season record of 253-136, which is far better than Isiah's record as coach. I still can't help but feel though that most of his success was a result of the Suns roster; and looking at the Knicks' current roster I think it will be very difficult for him to live up to the high expectations and find success right away. I would have liked former Knick point guard, Mark Jackson to have been offered the job. I know he lacks experience, however I believe he would command respect and there wouldn't be ridiculous expectations. Whether Knick fans like the hiring or not, I guarantee that every Knick fan is happy that the head coach is no longer Isiah Thomas.
-Ryan Kutey

No comments: