Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Off to the Interview I Go...


So, an update on my job seeking efforts: As I mentioned, I received the coveted "call back" for a position I applied for in Chicago. After a couple phone interviews, they expressed interest in interviewing me at their office, and off I was to the Windy City... Because this was only my second time to the city, I was quite nervous, to say the least. After a day of traveling, I finally checked into my hotel at 7:30PM (my plane was supposed to leave from San Jose at 6:40AM if that gives you an idea of my day...) This being my first occasion as a solo, "business" traveler - and starving - I walked across the street to the John Hancock building, which sits on a Cheesecake Factory. Because my food was going to take a while, and it was 12 degrees outside, I did what all businessmen do in the movies - I went and got a beer at the bar! I chatted up the bartender to get the 411 on Chicago and, lo and behold, he's from Oakland. Figures. Finished playing businessman dress-up, I headed back to my room, devoured the food, and prepared for my interview by doing research and looking over some sample questions. Here's a good list from JobSearch.com of questions to be prepared for:

Job Interview Questions About You

  • What is your greatest weakness?
  • What is your greatest strength?
  • How would you describe the pace at which you work?
  • How do you handle stress and pressure?
  • What motivates you?
  • What do you find are the most difficult decisions to make?
  • If the people who know you were asked why you should be hired, what would they say?
  • Do you prefer to work independently or on a team?
  • Give some examples of teamwork.
  • What type of work environment do you prefer?
  • How do you evaluate success?
  • Describe a difficult work situation / project and how you overcame it.
  • Describe a time when your workload was heavy and how you handled it.
So how did the interview go? More details to follow...

No comments: